Thursday, September 13, 2012

Destinations: I Survived the Farnsworth House!

If you read my last post, you know I was more than a little apprehensive about staying in the haunted Farnsworth House in Gettysburg.  Well I'm back and I survived. Here's the weekend rundown.

We headed to Gettysburg on Friday after work. We picked up Mary Ann at Seven Mountains Winery. We got into town about 7:30 p.m. As soon as we hit the square we saw our gang walking down the street.  They directed us to the B and B. We parked the car and headed for dinner. We had 8:30 reservations at the tavern on the square. The food was great (I had a pretzel bread sandwich) and the glass of white wine I had was a perfect way to end my day.

Jeremy's chairs at the bottom of the photo

We decided to do a "ghost hunt" after dinner. It wasn't a ghost walk, you got a bag with ghost hunting tools in it. Things like an energy meter, a voice recorder and a devining rod (that was to ask the spirits yes or no questions and they would make the rods cross for "yes".) After some direction, Jim, the tour leader, took us across the street to where one of the biggest battles of Gettsyburg occured. We were then set loose to hunt for ghosts.  I didn't really find any, although it was fun to play with all the gadgets. Every now and then the energy meters would go into the red. It was too dark to figure out the voice recorders.  My hubby thought it was a giant waste of money and time. I thought it was kind of a hoot, but not in a scary way.

Custer's "Be quick" note at the bottom left.
We were in the "Custer Room".  I got a giant kick out of the framed original note sent by Custer during his last stand to reinforcement troops. All it said was, "Be quick". Guess that didn't work out so well! There were also little chairs in our room for Jeremy, the 3 year old ghost who supposedly haunts the Farnsworth House. I took some pictures around our room to see if anything weird would show up. I was so tired  that I went right to sleep. I woke up at 5:30 a.m...more on that later. Another couple in our group of 18 reported that they had a swinging chandelier and darting lights on their ceiling. They were a little spooked..oooooh.

Is that a ghost blob above the plate??
 
 
The really scary things happened at the wine festival on Saturday. Check back tomorrow for more creepiness....

No comments:

Post a Comment